Thursday

Vegan Calzones

The best thing about this recipe is that it's packed with veggies and your kids will never know (they'll think they're eating junk food)! Hidden in the sauce are carrots, broccoli, peas and tomatoes, but all you'll taste is a yummy sauce, cheese and veggie pepperoni. I tried my best to create a gluten free dough recipe, however two failed batches later, I decided to let the idea go for today. Since I was making these for my family who are not gluten intolerant, I used durum atta flour (usually used to make chapati and roti). I'll keep working on a gluten free recipe and post it as soon as I create one I love! This is a great recipe to double up and freeze the extra calzones as they make handy work or school lunches.
*This recipe is NOT gluten-free*

Calzone Dough Recipe (bread machine)
1 1/8 cup warm water
3 cups durum atta flour
1 tbsp canola oil
1 tsp salt
2 tsp raw sugar
1 3/4 tsp active dry yeast

Place ingredients (in the order listed) in your bread machine and press the DOUGH cycle. Once cycle is complete, remove the dough and divide the dough into six equal portions. On a floured surface, roll the dough into flat circles (with a rolling pin). Leaving a 1" border around the edges, layer HALF of each calzone with Hidden Veggie Sauce (recipe below) veggie pizza pepperoni (I used Yves brand) and Daiya Cheese (I blended pepper-jack and cheddar). Fold the unfilled half over the filled half of each calzone and press edges together. Place calzones on metal baking sheet (with silicone baking mats or parchment paper lining the sheets) and let rise for 30 min. Preheat oven to 400F, and when calzones are done rising, brush both sides with vegan margarine (optional).  Place in oven and bake for 20 min. Remove from oven and allow to cool for five min before eating, and serve with the leftover Hidden Veggie Sauce.

Hidden Veggie Sauce
1 cup broccoli, chopped
1 cup carrots, peeled and chopped
1/2 cup peas (I use frozen)
1 can tomato paste
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 tbsp dried basil
1 tbsp dried oregano
1 tsp salt
4 tbsp water (I use the water left over from cooking the veggies)
1 tbsp olive oil

Place carrots, broccoli and peas in a saucepan and cover them with water. Bring to a boil and cook until veggies are al dente. Drain water (reserving 4 tbsp), and place in food processor with the remaining ingredients. Blend until smooth. *There will be extra sauce for dipping the calzones.