Thursday

Perfect Kale Chips

There are probably a few hundred different ways of making kale chips, and most of them are fairly similar. Some recipes call for short blasts of very high heat, others say slow and low is best. I'm of the latter group. I used to make my kale chips in the oven but almost always ended up burning a few (or all of them), so now I prefer the dehydrator. I'm not going to claim I invented this recipe, as I got tips from a few Twitter friends as well as online searched for the magical combination of toppings. I love them so much I even eat them for breakfast some days ;)

Perfect Kale Chips

1 bunch of curly kale, thoroughly washed and patted dry
1 tsp apple cider vinegar
1 tbsp olive oil
1 tbsp dried dill
2 tbsp nutritional yeast
1/2 tsp dried garlic (finely crushed)
pinch of salt

Start by tearing the kale leaves from the spine. Place in a large bowl. Next mix olive oil and vinegar together and drizzle over kale leaves. In a small bowl, combine all of the dry ingredients and evenly sprinkle over kale.
Massage the seasonings onto the kale leaves so they are all evenly coated. Lay the leaves flat on the mesh screen of your dehydrator and dehydrate at 105F for 8 hours (or overnight). Kale chips can be stored in an airtight container for up to 1 month.

*If you don't have a dehydrator, lay prepared kale on metal baking sheet and bake at 250F for approx 30 min. Make sure the leaves do not turn brown (burn) or they will be bitter. Depending on you oven they may need a few minutes more or less. Check them 5 min early and test their crunchiness and go from there.